Posted on May 16, 2016
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 28 minutes
Total time: 38 minutes
3 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced (let sit for 10 minutes for full health benefits)
1 bunch thin asparagus spears, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
10 ounces baby bella (crimini) mushrooms, sliced or diced
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup whole grain sorghum
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (chicken broth can be substituted)
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon truffle oil, (olive oil can be substituted)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat a 6-quart pressure cooker over medium-heat with the lid off (use "sear" setting for electric pressure cookers.) Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and garlic. Once garlic is golden brown, add asparagus, mushrooms and pine nuts. Sauté approximately 5 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Set mixture aside in a small bowl.
2. Over medium-heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and onions, sauté approximately 3-4 minutes until onions are translucent. Add sorghum, broth and wine, bring it up to a simmer. Remove from heat and close lid securely.
3. After the lid is securely locked, bring up to high pressure over medium-high heat for approximately 20 minutes. For a stove top pressure cooker you will need to adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure.
4. After 20 minutes, remove from heat and release the pressure through the steam vent. Once pressure is released remove the lid. (Refer to your owners manual for additional suggestions)
5. Stir in truffle oil, lemon juice and lemon zest to the sorghum mixture and combine well. Add the asparagus, garlic and mushrooms and stir until combined and asparagus is warm through.
6. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese* (optional)
7. Serve immediately.
To prepare conventionally, cook sorghum mixture for 40 minutes covered until sorghum is soft (strain any remaining water.)
Calories: 290 calories, fat: 14 grams, Saturated fat: 1.5 grams, carbohydrates: 30 grams, sugar: 3 grams, sodium: 280 milligrams, fiber: 5 grams, protein 6 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
*Parmesan cheese is not included in the nutrient analysis