Posted on May 16, 2016
Recipe developed by Wondergrain
Serves: Approximately 6
Prep time: Approximately 15 minutes
Cook Time: Approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes
1 ¼ cup dry white wine
¾ teaspoon saffron threads
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoons smoked paprika (also known as Pimento Dulce)
1 ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 large chicken thighs with skin and bones, excess skin and fat trimmed. (May substitute with white meat)
4 ounces ¼ -inch-thick slices fully cooked smoked Spanish chorizo
1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ cups chopped onion
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups pearled white sorghum grain
7 cups chicken broth
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
¼ cup coarsely chopped roasted red peppers from jar
½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
Lime or lemon wedges
1. In a small bowl, mix white wine and saffron threads; set aside. Combine salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper in small bowl; rub spice mixture all over chicken.
2. Heat heavy skillet or a paella pan over medium heat. Sauté chorizo until fat begins to render and sausage browns, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a plate. Add olive oil to the drippings in the skillet.
3. Add chicken to skillet and cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate with chorizo. Keep only 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet. Add chopped onion.
4. Cook until translucent, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir 30 seconds.
5. Add sorghum and stir to coat. Add wine-saffron mixture and bring to a quick boil on high, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Add
chicken broth, tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil on high for about 2 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
7. Stir in roasted red peppers and browned chorizo. Place chicken atop mixture in skillet (You may add drippings from the bowl to the skillet for added flavor).
8. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover skillet tightly.
9. Cook Paella until sorghum is tender with a bite and the chicken is completely cooked, about 15 minutes. Dish should be moist, not dry.
10. Transfer chicken to plate. Stir sorghum (grain should be soft with a pleasant bite); add green peas and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
11. Return chicken to skillet, nestling into rice. Cover. Cook until peas are ready, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn heat to high for 30 to 40 seconds until you can smell the
sorghum toast at the bottom (Be careful not to burn it!).
12. Now you are ready to enjoy your Paella with a twist!
Serve with wedges of lime or lemon.