Posted on May 16, 2016
Recipe developed by Wondergrain
Serves: Approximately 2-3
Prep time: 20 minutes
For the Salad:
2 cups of kale finely chopped
¼ cup yellow pepper chopped
¼ cup red pepper chopped
¼ sweet onion thinly sliced (optional)
1 cup cooked whole grain WONDERGRAIN sorghum
For the Salad Dressing:
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, to taste
1 teaspoon of honey
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh basil finely chopped
If too acidic, add more honey
1. Cut kale lengthwise and remove the stems. Roll up several leaves like a cigar for easy chopping.
2. Chop peppers (small dice).
3. Mix all the ingredients for the salad.
4. Add desired amount of dressing – Be generous!
5. This salad is as good the following day. The Kale will not wilt and Wondergrain will not be soggy.
1. May marinate kale for 2 hours with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 lime, salt and pepper to soften the leaf and take out the bitterness. You can do the same for the onion if prepping ahead of time.
2. If storing salad in refrigerator, let stand 20 minutes at room temperature prior to service.
3. If using refrigerated or frozen precooked grain, it must be warmed up in the microwave or the stovetop to loosen it up. Let cool down and prepare salad.
4. To reheat on the stovetop and loosen up the grain, moisten with liquid – do not drench.
5. To reheat in the microwave and loosen up the grain, cover with a wet paper towel.