To reduce the risk of poisoning from prussic acid, feed cereal grain to animals prior to releasing them to graze. This will give the animals more time to adjust to the prussic acid levels and provide more time for the prussic acid to dissipate to a safe level.
When consuming hay or silage, prussic acid is rarely a problem because the acid has had time to dissipate as a gas. However, if prussic acid levels were particularly high when the sorghum was harvested, the hay or silage should be tested prior to feeding.
When collecting samples for testing, it is best to collect several stalks with leaves from different areas of the field. Samples should be kept cool and transported to the lab immediately. Prussic acid is considered toxic if it contains more than 200 parts per million (ppm) on a wet weight basis. Anything less than 100 ppm is considered safe.