Sorghum Pilaf Recipe
Recipe developed by:
Barbara Kliment, Executive Director-Nebraska Grain Sorghum Board
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked sorghum grain 2 1/2 Tbls olive oil
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt to taste
- Dash freshly cracked pepper
- Rinse sorghum kernels and drain thoroughly. In heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, combine sorghum and 1 Tbls olive oil. Stirring constantly, gently toast sorghum in oil for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chicken broth and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes or until broth is absorbed and grain is tender. Drain excess liquid, if necessary; set aside.
- In large skillet, heat 1 1/2 Tbls olive oil over med-high heat. Add carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until tender crisp. Add green onions, nuts and tomatoes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until nuts begin to toast. Add cooked sorghum and heat through. Season to taste. Transfer to casserole dish or large platter.
- Garnish with sprigs of parsley and additional toasted nuts. Serve hot.