Za’atar Chicken with Sweet Potatoes, Kale and Sorghum
Share This Recipe
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon za’atar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cups diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cups diced sweet potato
- 1 cup peeled, diced apple like gala
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups (packed) chopped kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and za’atar.
- Using the sauté’ setting on your instant pot, add half the extra virgin olive oil to the pot along with the chicken thighs, skin side down.
- Sear the chicken thighs for 5-6 minutes, browning the skin, then flip and sear for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Remove the chicken thighs and set them aside.
Add the remaining extra virgin olive oil to the pan along with the onions and the garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes to soften the onions.
Add the lemon juice and oregano and stir to deglaze the plan.
Add the sweet potatoes, apple, sorghum, chicken stock and water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken back to the pot, skin side up, placing it on top of the potato and sorghum mixture.
- Secure the lid of the instant pot making sure that the steam vent is closed.
Using the pressure cook setting, set the timer to 20 minutes.
When the timer ends, release the steam value and then open the lid.
Remove the chicken thighs and set them aside.
Add the kale to the sweet potato and sorghum mixture gently stirring to wild the kale and incorporate it into the mixture.
Plate the potato and sorghum mixture, topping it with the chicken thighs.