Mediterranean Sorghum Salad
- 1 cup whole-grain sorghum
- 4 cups water
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley (you can swap part of this for fresh oregano or basil)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the sorghum. Bring the water to boil in a medium saucepan, then add the sorghum. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool sorghum to room temperature, fluffing with a fork occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing and prep the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the next four ingredients (chickpeas through green onions). Add the sorghum and gently stir to combine. Drizzle the dressing over the contents and stir again. Add the cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs and feta and gently fold to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, and serve.