Sweet Peach Skillet Cake
Recipe developed by:
Barbara Kliment, Executive Director-Nebraska Grain Sorghum Board
Share This Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free sorghum all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 peaches, peeled & sliced (may use canned )
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare 10-inch oven-proof skillet with cooking spray. ( I prefer cast iron. )
- Whisk together sorghum flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Beat in eggs and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet. Place peach slices in spiral fan on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean—30 to 35 minutes. The batter bakes up around the peaches.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Cake can be served as rustic dessert topped with whipped cream sweetened with sorghum syrup or as a breakfast cake.