Authentic Italian Tiramisu
3 people like this recipe
0 people dislike this recipe
- 6 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups mascarpone
- 36-48 ladyfingers
- 1 1/2 cups espresso or made in Moka pot, cooled
- ¼ cup marsala
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 3 eggs, separated
- ¼ cups Sugar
- 5/8 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons powder sugar
- Brew coffee and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar until pale, doubled in volume and "ribbons" remain for a few seconds when spoon is lifted from the mixture, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in mascarpone a little bit at a time.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into mascarpone mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons Marsala to the coffee.
- Dip ladyfingers quickly into the coffee and arrange in a layer in the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan. Do not "soak" the ladyfingers in the coffee or your Tiramisu will turn out soggy.
Gluten-Free Ladyfingers Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets then line with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Slowly add sugar, continue beating until whites are stiff and smooth. In a little bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks with a fork, then fold them into the whites.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tapioca, sweet rice, sorghum, millet and xanthan gum. Sift the flours over the egg mixture, then fold gently until just mixed.
- Use a pastry bag with a plain tip, fill with batter, then pipe into strips (or any other shape), about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle half of the powdered sugar over the piped batter, wait 5 minutes and repeat with the other half. Hold the parchment paper in place and tap off excess sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then rotate sheets and bake for 5 more minutes, until puffed up and lightly browned. Let cool for 5 minutes on sheet, then cool on rack.